Week6: Black Shack Alley

Hi, everyone! Welcome to my sixth blog! I was tired this week since I have three midterms, but this wonderful book relaxes me. I hope you have time to read my blog.

This week I read "Black Shack Alley", it is a novel written by Joseph Zobel in 1950. There is also a movie adapted from this novel. I watched part of the movie while reading the book. First of all, I like this book very much. I think this book is of great educational significance in many aspects. This book allows me to see the strength and resilience of people who dare to resist fate.

This book is written from the perspective of the protagonist JosĂ©, from the beginning of the story, we can see the hardship of his life. The good thing Jose thinks is a piece of bread, which makes me feel pitiful for him. Although his life was difficult, from his description I did not feel that he was critical of his own life. On the contrary, I feel he lives optimistically. Although the events he encounters as an adult are cruel, his childhood was joyful. But what impresses me the most is not Jose, but his grandmother. I believe his grandmother is the guiding light on his path. Jose's grandmother is a strong and wise woman. It is mentioned from the beginning of the novel that she works on the plantation, always striving to provide a better life for Jose. Although she lacks formal education, this does not affect her guidance for Jose. She teaches Jose to be disciplined and cultured. She is a thoughtful woman who hopes Jose can break out of this small place, break free from the shackles imposed on black people, and move towards broader horizons. What makes me deeply moved is that in that society at that time, she could have such forward-thinking. She truly deserves to be called Jose's mentor on his life journey.

I've always believed that the most significant influence on a child's growth comes from parental guidance. Although Joseph's parents aren't with him, he's fortunate to have a wonderful grandmother. Similarly, I'm grateful to my parents for always considering my thoughts and providing guidance when I'm lost. During elementary and middle school, I lacked confidence and heavily relied on my parents. In my freshman year of high school, they sent me to study abroad in Canada, which had a profound impact on my life. The experiences I had during my five years in Canada were perhaps experiences others may not encounter in a lifetime. Although my parents weren't physically present, they always sent me messages, and they often comforted and encouraged me when I faced difficulties. So even though they weren't physically by my side, I never felt alone. During my time studying in Canada, I also made friends from around the world, learning and understanding things I never knew before. Having supportive family members who understand and encourage your growth is truly precious.

Question: What impact do you think your family has on your life?

Comments

  1. "She is a thoughtful woman who hopes Jose can break out of this small place, break free from the shackles imposed on black people, and move towards broader horizons."

    Yes, I think this is very definitely M'man Tine's motivation... and you are right that she sacrifices a lot to try to enable Jose to move up the educational ladder. But what do you think he thinks of the "broader horizons" in Fort-de-France, for instance? Isn't the book also a revalorization of the supposedly "small place" that is Black Shack Alley?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week3: Mad Toy

Week 7 The time of the doves

Week2: Combray